Understanding Roxbury Fire Damage and Its Restoration
Fire damage in your Roxbury home? Call SERVPRO to make you feel "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Helps Restore Homes After Fire Damage
From Harvard Medical School to Northeastern University, many large properties exist in the Greater Boston area of Roxbury. With the thousands residing in the neighborhood, fires happen more often than many think. Even after a fire gets extinguished, effects continue to threaten the impacted structure like:
- Ruined contents
- Airborne contaminants
- Destroyed structure
- Lingering water damage
- Smoke residues and soils
Roxbury fire damage is a highly destructive event in many cases, even with minor kitchen flare-ups. Experienced professionals are needed to document loss and get restoration started. With insurance companies involved when damage claims are made, we work directly with adjusters to meet the requirements to obtain claim approval.
What Kind of Restoration Can Homeowners Expect?
Fire restoration services vary considerably between residences and commercial properties, making each situation unique. We evaluate the condition of your home and determine the needed mitigative and restorative actions to begin returning this structure to its original condition.
Mitigating Fire Damage
Mitigation describes any early actions our professionals take to protect the structure and its occupants from worsening conditions. While the process can involve dozens of acts, standard emergency services can include:
- Personal Belongings/Contents – We can relocate and protect personal belongings caught in the damage path of migrating fire loss effects. We also have on-site cleaning solutions when relocation is not enough.
- Structural Elements – Inspecting damaged structures can be a wise start to mitigation as well, as several repairs and areas requiring controlled demolition exist with the arrival of our technicians.
- Containing the Damage – It is essential to stop the movement of post-fire loss effects like soot and odors. Covering vents and returns keep these negative elements from entering the HVAC system.
How is Soot Resolved After Fire Damage?
Cleaning up surfaces impacted by soot and smoke residues is a priority of our fire restoration professionals. Partial combustion, prevalent in all affected areas of a structure fire, produces smoke solids that can come to rest on surfaces. We utilize several cleaning approaches, but there are specific factors that can influence the preservation of impacted materials and contents:
- Smoke Damage Type – Environmental conditions and the combustion of specific materials will create varying types of smoke damage. Wet smoke, for example, is a more challenging residue to clean with its thick deposit and tendency to smear.
- Underlying Material – The material impacted by the soot and smoke soils should also be considered when determining salvageability. Older materials are often harder to clean, and highly porous surfaces can also create a substantial obstacle for the technicians.
- Cost of Preservation – A final consideration that must be made into the salvageability of exposed materials and contents is the difficulty of fire damage restoration against the cost of replacement. Some materials, such as drywall, can be replaced more easily and cheaply than through lengthy restoration and cleaning processes.
Repairs and Build-Back After a Fire
Structure fires often leave buildings with a pressing need for repairs and reconstruction. Build-back services by our SERVPRO team are possible with our general contractor license. Our qualifications in this field prevent customers from needing to secure secondary contractors to complete rebuilds after the restoration phases.
Roxbury fire damage events happen more often than many homeowners and business managers believe. With the swiftness that these disasters can impact a structure, there is little time to waste in securing restoration professionals approved by your insurance provider to help.
Our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team is a preferred post-fire recovery specialist available 24/7 when you call (617) 466-6909.
Restoration Solutions for Roxbury Water Damage
Water removal and drying--call in SERVPRO--to preserve your Roxbury home--we have the training and the advanced equipment.
Eliminating Water Damage in Multiple Ways
Water emergencies happen in our region daily, making it the most common service request for our SERVPRO professionals. We are a full-service solution for restoration and recovery from these disasters, providing:
- Water Removal Services
- Drying and Evaporation
- Surface and Content Cleaning
- Post-Damage Repairs
Rapidly Responding to Water Emergencies
With Roxbury water damage, it is important to have experienced professionals responding quickly. SERVPRO prides itself that We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster, and we show this through our pre-stocked vehicles in the Green Fleet, ready to mobilize at the first notice of loss.
Removing Pooling Water in the House
Extraction is an integral part of the mitigation process to get the restoration going. Without removing standing water, materials continue to be at risk for absorption and degradation. We have several water removal tools to help:
- Wet Vacuums – These extraction units provide the most versatile solutions for water removal, including portability and access to multi-story structures without the need for deploying high-pressure pump units.
- Submersible Pumps – Ranging from engine-driven units providing the highest power for extraction and water removal to portable electric submersible units, pumps offer a higher volume of water removal when vacuums are overwhelmed.
- Specialized Equipment – While vacuums and pumps can care for the largest portions of standing water. SERVPRO professionals must also account for absorbed water at this stage. Materials like carpeting can relieve most of their absorbed water with high-pressure vacuums and weighted extraction units.
Tools for Efficient Water Damage Drying
Drying is the most critical portion of the restoration process and is needed in every water restoration project. While each structure requires a different amount of equipment and unique placement, some of the common tools deployed include:
- Air Movers - Placing high-velocity blowers at 45-degree angles on surfaces allows us to steer drying and evaporation processes with direct infusion of dry air on wet structural elements.
- Dehumidifiers - Desiccant and low-grain refrigerant dehumidification equipment use different approaches to trap and remove moisture grains from the atmosphere. Dehumidification is vital to allow evaporation to continue and not oversaturate the environment.
- Portable Electric Heating - Manipulating the warmth of the drying zone can often help to increase the evaporation reactions and reduce contact time for cleaning products on surfaces.
- Drying Mats - For flooring types like wood and vinyl plank, drying mats can be an integral part of the restoration process. Capillary suction draws moisture to the surface where these mats are placed so that evaporation and other techniques can remove it from the structure.
Prepared for Large Loss Scenarios
In the Greater Boston area and through communities we serve like Roxbury and Jamaica Plain, commercial properties are just as susceptible to water damage as the thousands of homes in the region. As such, our SERVPRO team must stay ready with Large Loss equipment and training to manage loss effects on a greater scale than typically seen in residential disasters.
Water Damage Repairs
One advantage of SERVPRO for water recovery work is the general contractor license we provide. After burst pipes and flooding, repairs and reconstruction are inevitable. Having this capability with the restoration team means that the work gets done right after the cleanup, and you are back to normal life faster.
With Roxbury water damage incidents, professionals like ours must respond quickly. There is a finite timeline where materials exposed to water and moisture are salvageable. As trusted restoration technicians in the Greater Boston area, SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury can help mitigate loss and make water emergencies “Like it never even happened.” Call now at (617) 466-6909.
The Impact of Roxbury Mold Damage on Homes
Trust SERVPRO for professional mold damage cleanup and remediation for your Roxbury property.
Remediators Can Manage Mold Damage in Roxbury
Whether the lingering water in your home after a water damage emergency or a damp basement that continually contends with penetrating groundwater, conditions for mold development are common concerns for area homeowners. When you suspect microbial damage in your property, our SERVPRO team responds with a crew of experienced professionals representing multiple industry niches like:
- AMRT – Applied Microbial Remediation
- WRT – Water Restoration
- ASD – Applied Structural Drying
- CDS – Commercial Drying
- OCT – Odor Control
How Does Mold Form?
Roxbury mold damage can exist without homeowners knowing, especially in less-trafficked areas of a residence like a basement or an attic. Any moist environment that persists for several days can facilitate mold colonies. Common examples include:
- Unresolved Water Damage – A small leak at a connection of your plumbing or a dripping fixture could create a wet zone sufficient for welcoming mold.
- Humidity Concerns – Humid conditions are not foreign to our communities, and residences dealing with high moisture content can also contend with developing mold.
- Post-Flooding – Flooding can leave many areas of the structure damp, a suitable environment for mold development.
What Materials Does Mold Target?
Organic matter becomes a food source for mold colonies. Those building materials and contents in the house are most at risk for supporting organisms and facing disastrous results. Some include:
- Wood elements
- Soft materials
Removing Mold Damage Professionally
The removal of mold and microbial threats involves several trusted strategies. Because of factors like the impacted materials, irregular or challenging surfaces, and the severity of the infestation, multiple remediation tactics are needed:
- Surface Products – The least intrusive remediation method is applying sporicidal agents to the surface. Contact time with these colonies can often eradicate surface mold without further action.
- Power Sanding – Wood framing and structural elements impacted by mold colonies can allow colonies to penetrate beyond the outermost surface layer. Power sanding removes a thin exterior segment to eliminate intruding mold colonies.
- Dry Ice Blasting – Dry ice is not the only blasting material we can use for these pieces of equipment. We place various media under pressurized air and blast at hosting materials supporting surface colonies.
- Removing Damaged Materials – When surface and more abrasive cleaning methods are not possible, controlled demolition is an effective alternative.
Will Mold Damage Repairs Be Needed?
A contractor license for our team allows us to be there for the repairs and reconstruction that your home might require after mold cleanup. There are many instances where the infestation of colonies compromises hosting materials to the point of needing partial or complete replacement. Understanding that repairs are likely, our SERVPRO team prepares for this by dispatching experienced professionals to help with mold damage remediation.
Preventing Mold Recurrences in Your Home
Another objective of our restoration team and the reconstruction specialists we provide is preventing recurrences. We adhere to IICRC standards for mold services. It is possible to address the entry point for moisture penetration and avoid continued infiltration. In many cases, rebuilding compromised structural elements allows moisture migration to the damaged area. Roof repairs, sealing penetration points in your home's foundation, and several other structural improvements can help.
When contending with Roxbury mold damage, homes and businesses can be impacted by these growths over a long period. The development and spread of mold and microbial organisms threaten the hosting materials and could lead to a need for extensive reconstruction. Our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team has a fast response through our Boston neighborhoods and communities to help. Call now at (617) 466-6909.
It Is Crucial That Roxbury Water Restoration Jobs Are Done Right
SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury understands how important your business is. Let us help you out.
We Ensure the Completion of Roxbury Water Restoration
When you have your Roxbury business’ water damage remediated, you want to be sure that the work has been successfully completed. Such assurance is one of the benefits of using a high-quality cleanup and restoration service like SERVPRO. We meticulously inspect your facilities following a remediation to ensure that all work has been done effectively.
SERVPRO understands that the finishing touches are often just as important as the other parts of water restoration projects in Roxbury. This awareness encourages us to make certain that all water-related issues have been resolved and your commercial establishment has been returned to its pre-damaged condition before we leave. After our highly-trained professionals have finished handling your ceiling leaks, burst pipes, basement flooding, and any related water damage repairs, they:
- Ensure that all water event-related safety hazards have been addressed and that they no longer pose a threat to business owners, employees, or customers
- Ensure all relevant electrical issues have been repaired and the system is in good working order for normal operations.
- Inspect the structure for damage, testing the strength of walls, making sure they aren’t warping or buckling, verifying that there are no loose nails or tape seams, identifying any deteriorated drywall, and checking insulation for any moisture or defects
- Ensure carpets and carpet seams are in good condition and floors aren’t buckled, warped, or cracked.
- Examine contents for any moisture, damage, or compromised paint or finish
- Ensure that all SERVPRO equipment, like air movers, Injectidry systems, dehumidifiers, foggers, and other tools, has been removed from the worksite
Keep in mind, that you can rest assured your neighbors at SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury will finish your water restoration job the right way. If you ever need assistance, don’t wait to call us at (617) 466-6909.
Fire Restoration in Roxbury Often Requires Major Clean-Up Efforts
SERVPRO fire damage restoration services are top-notch. Call now!
Roxbury Fire Restoration Cleans Smoke & Residues
Roxbury homes that have suffered fire damage usually require major remediation efforts. The necessary work generally involves indoor air purification, fire residue removal, deodorization, and reconstructions. Fortunately, local companies like SERVPRO have all the training, experience, and tools to do this work right the first time, saving homeowners time and money.
SERVPRO’s technicians are fire restoration experts in Roxbury that are adept at dealing with all the various types of damage fires can cause. They have successfully performed smoke remediation, house fire clean-up work, and fire damage restoration on countless fire-damaged homes in this area. In handling these projects, our workers have employed the following sophisticated tools and techniques:
- Clearing smoke-filled air from residences with high-velocity box fans and air movers, then removing remaining particles with high-tech air scrubbers
- Thoroughly sanitizing air ventilation networks with cutting-edge HVAC cleaning systems to prevent them from further spreading smoke particles around
- Removing fire-related residues using methods appropriate for their type: wiping away dry residues with dry cloths and sponges; employing abrasives to clean off harder, caked-on remnants; and washing off wet or greasy residues with the right detergents
- Treating odor-filled rooms with powerful foggers filled with commercial-grade deodorants and smelly, upholstered furnishings with innovative injection devices
- Restoring damaged structural elements and furnishings by repairing, cleaning, refinishing, and repainting them, if necessary
- Reconstructing destroyed rooms and replacing irreparably impacted household contents
Once these measures have been completed, homes have generally been returned to their pre-fire state. Furthermore, our methods are often so effective that it is difficult to imagine a fire had even occurred.
So, whenever you need fire restoration done on your residence, don’t hesitate to call your helpful neighbors at SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury. We are always ready for your call at (617) 466-6909.
Water Mitigation Steps to Protect Your Jamaica Plain Residence
Water damage restoration for your home needs to be handled by SERVPRO. Our IICRC certified technicians have the training you need.
Some Jamaica Plain Water Mitigation Suggestions
As Jamaica Plain homeowners, we all face the threat of one day having to deal with a water-related emergency. Even though this is a troubling prospect, there are ways we can potentially reduce our odds of experiencing such situations or significantly reduce their overall impact on us. Here are a few mitigation suggestions from some local water damage remediators.
SERVPRO routinely performs water mitigation work in Jamaica Plain and, in the process, has helped countless families. As a top emergency water damage services firm in this area, we offer a wide variety of water removal services, including full basement flooding cleanup. Our team also does complete water damage repairs. With that said, there are some things you can do to reduce your risk of suffering a water-related event or minimize its effects. These measures include:
- Regularly having your gutters/drainage networks cleaned/repaired and roofing inspected, maintained, and replaced by professionals
- Remaining forever vigilant against potential leaks by watching out for foul odors, ceiling or wall discolorations, building material deterioration, and having a skilled remediator like SERVPRO periodically inspect your home for damage
- Remembering to let faucets drip during periods of freezing temperatures to prevent potential pipe leaks and ruptures
- Routinely inspecting appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, and water heating tanks to ensure that all connections are secure, water valves are in good working order, and there is no leak-causing corrosion on them
- Making sure that no windows are cracked or otherwise damaged, and their seals are intact and not leaky
With that said, preventative water mitigation measures are not always effective. So, when they aren’t, you need the assistance of a good water damage cleanup and restoration firm like SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury. Our highly-trained and dedicated experts are always here and ready to help, so call us anytime at (617) 466-6909.
Mold Removal in Roxbury Requires Understanding of Its Life Cycle
SERVPRO mold remediation services are second to none. Call now for fast and immediate service.
SERVPRO Is Roxbury’s Expert Mold Removal Firm
Mold is a common part of our environment, and our Roxbury homes are never entirely free of it. With that said, this fungus doesn’t really pose a threat to your residence until conditions are right for its growth on household surfaces. As with all other organisms, mold has a life cycle and develops in predictable ways. Knowing this information is key to effectively dealing with mold.
SERVPRO has been performing mold removal services in Roxbury for several years now and, over that time, has gained extensive experience in dealing with this troublesome microbe. Our highly-skilled team of mold specialists has routinely done mold inspection work, completed mold removal projects throughout numerous homes, and successfully remediated the effects of black mold. SERVPRO has been aided in its various efforts by its knowledge concerning the mold development cycle. When it comes to this cycle, we understand that:
- Mold spores are present nearly everywhere inside and outside your residence and only need the right conditions to develop into full-blown mold growths
- These microbes are moisture-loving and generally require indoor relative humidity levels above 60% to sprout and grow
- Mold usually develops and thrives in temperatures between 68 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit but can survive in temperatures as low as 32 or as high as 122 degrees Fahrenheit
- This fungus needs an organic food source to consume, like wood, drywall, paper, insulation, or natural fibers
- The typical life process of mold starts with airborne spores, then these seeds land on surfaces and develop into a network of structures known as hyphae if conditions are right, and finally, the hyphae produce new spores
So, armed with this knowledge, SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury is ready to assist you. Call us anytime for mold removal or related service at (617) 466-6909.
Businesses in Roxbury Trust SERVPRO with Water Restoration
Contact SERVPRO to effectively tackle the fire damage in your property. Call now!
Controlling Contamination During Water Restoration of Roxbury Commercial Properties
A Water incident at your commercial property can damage the contents and structure and create conditions conducive to microbial growth. Professional restorers like SERVPRO must take steps to control the contamination during water restoration of Roxbury properties.
SERVPRO techs follow the IICRC S500 guidelines to control microbial contamination during the water restoration of Roxbury commercial properties. For effective remediation of water-damaged properties, SERVPRO techs use a two-step process:
- Manipulate the humidity, airflow, and temperature of the affected area to promote rapid drying, and
- Remove any contaminated materials.
Only after the completion of these two processes do the SERVPRO techs use antimicrobial agents to prevent the growth of microbes.
Why SERVPRO Techs Use Professional Products During Water Cleanup?
Rapid drying and removing contaminated materials is sometimes not enough to control microbial growth. SERVPRO techs use professional antimicrobial products to slow down or control microbial proliferation in those situations.
SERVPRO techs mainly use two types of antimicrobials during water restoration of Roxbury commercial properties:
- Disinfectants: These types of antimicrobials destroy 99% of organisms they contact. Some disinfectants are effective in controlling spores, while others are not. The most common disinfectants that SERVPRO techs use include phenolics, alcohols, chlorines, and quaternary ammonium compounds.
- Sanitizers: SERVPRO techs use these antimicrobials to decrease the number of microbes to an acceptable level. While sanitizers can temporarily control the microbe population, the microbes can grow back under the right conditions.
SERVPRO techs only use EPA-registered broad-spectrum disinfectants in the water-damaged properties in Roxbury. We always take appropriate precautions and safety measures while applying antimicrobials in water-damaged properties.
Call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury at (617) 466-6909; We’re Faster To Any Size.
SERVPRO Saves Jamaica Plain Homes from Fire Damage
All you need is SERVPRO for all your fire damage needs. Call (617) 466-6909.
Cleaning Walls and Ceilings After Fire Damage in Jamaica Plain Homes
Walls and ceilings are the most affected components after fire damage to your Jamaica Plain home. SERVPRO techs use various cleaning methods to clean the smoke and soot residue to prevent any lasting damage.
Before deciding on a cleaning method, SERVPRO techs pretest walls and ceilings for cleanability after fire damage to your Jamaica Plain home. Some factors that affect the choice of the cleaning method include:
- Type of smoke and soot residue
- The type of surface
- Whether the finish on the surface is wet or dry cleanable
Cleaning Methods for House Fire Cleanup
SERVPRO techs use three methods to clean smoke and soot residues from walls and ceilings after smoke damage to your Jamaica Plain home:
- Dry cleaning: SERVPRO techs use a dry-cleaning sponge to clean all types of ceilings covered in light-to-medium, non-greasy soot. The method is unsuitable if the residue is too heavy or the surface is porous. In most cases, the dry-cleaning sponge is used to pre-clean the surfaces before wet cleaning.
- Wet cleaning is the method of choice to clean surfaces with heavy dry ash, soot residue, or light-to-heavy oil-based residues. SERVPRO techs use several cleaning agents, both water-based and solvent-based cleaning agents to dislodge soils from walls and ceilings.
- Peroxide active cleaning: It is a method of choice to clean acoustical ceilings and other porous surfaces. SERVPRO techs use this method when heavy, oily soot residue is present after fire damage. The cleaning agent used in this process is a stabilized hydrogen peroxide solution that releases oxygen and oxidizes the smoke and soot residue.
If you need help with fire restoration of your home, call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury at (617) 466-6909.
SERVPRO Is Fast and Efficient with Mold Remediation in Roxbury
Let our fast response team at SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury eliminate your mold damage.
Tackling Mold Remediation in HVAC Systems
Mold remediation of HVAC systems in your Roxbury home presents a unique challenge to the SERVPRO restorers. It is tricky to specify the extent of contamination in HVAC systems, and techs might need multiple cleanings to achieve a satisfactory level of cleanliness.
The complex nature of the HVAC system’s interior structure requires SERVPRO techs to adopt a different cleaning strategy during mold remediation of your Roxbury home. The system provides reservoirs for both the spores and viable fungi, and numerous amplification sites may present a cause of concern during restorative cleaning. In some cases, cleaning the cooling coils, fan blades, and coil fin surfaces can be challenging.
What Makes SERVPRO Mold Specialists Efficient at Cleaning HVAC?
SERVPRO techs follow the IICRC S520 guidelines during mold remediation of Roxbury homes. In most cases, techs remedy the HVAC system only once, completing other remediation activities.
Here are a few steps we take to ensure a safe and efficient mold removal from HVAC systems.
- SERVPRO techs refrain from using aggressive cleaners containing strong acids or caustics to prevent damage to the heat transfer surfaces of the HVAC systems. Using harsh cleansers can cause the pitting of surfaces, decreasing their efficiency.
- We ensure that once the HVAC surfaces are treated with the cleaning agents, the residues from the agents are removed by thorough rinsing.
- Our techs ensure that the water pressure used while cleaning the coil fins is kept below 100 psi to avoid deformation.
The IICRC guidelines recommend that restorers use antimicrobials to inhibit future fungal growth in HVAC systems. However, the techs consider the application of antimicrobials only after the complete removal of contamination.
If you need assistance with mold damage in your residential or commercial property, call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury at (617) 466-6909.