Three Basic Principles of Mold Remediation in Roxbury Homes
Our techs are ready 24/7, 365 days a year.
SERVPRO Follows Best Practices for Mold Cleanup in Roxbury
Mold is a common danger of water damage. It can ruin the structure and contents of your home. If you suspect mold growth in your Roxbury homes, the best thing to do is contact a mold remediation company to fix the issue.
The key to dealing with microbial growth is correcting the moisture issue. Therefore mold remediation in Roxbury homes should begin with stopping the source of moisture that primarily contributed to the increase. If your home continues to have moisture issues, even the best mold cleanup efforts cannot keep mold from returning. As mold spores absorb moisture, they swell and grow by sending out networks of structures called hyphae. SERVPRO crews understand how mold proliferates and affects different materials. Therefore, we deploy appropriate measures to clean it and prevent further growth.
Some key steps to mold remediation
- Clean and dry moldy materials
- Discard moldy items that cannot be cleaned
- Dry non-moldy items within 48 hours
Managing Mold Growth
Our crews help remove the excess mold contamination when mold grows beyond normal levels. We might have to remove some of the materials damaged by the mold. Before we do so, we isolate the area by building airtight containments, which help prevent cross-contamination. We then perform controlled demolition procedures such as cutting away drywall panels and stripping off the insulation from spaces. We also remove all other porous moldy materials since they cannot be restored.
Cleaning moldy residues is also essential to clear the masses of colonies and other soils. We use different approaches for effective cleaning. For example, a HEPA vacuum helps capture dry moldy debris and spores, while damp-wiping removes embedded soils from surfaces. Our crews use antimicrobial detergents when wiping surfaces.
Useful chemical agents
- Quaternary compounds
SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury crews are trained to handle mold remediation effectively. Call us at (617) 466-6909. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Overcoming Flood Damage in Roxbury Homes
Our SERVPRO rapid response team is available 24/7!
Efficient Roxbury Flood Damage Cleanup Services
Areas of Boston are prone to flooding, especially the homes and businesses in the lower-lying regions of Roxbury. An instance of flooding throughout this community can have far-reaching impacts, from closing off areas like Franklin Park to disrupting education at locations like the Haynes Early Education Center or Trotter Elementary School. In addition, with the Roxbury Community College being such a recognized part of the neighborhood, disasters impacting these buildings could simultaneously impact the lives of thousands of staff and students. Fortunately, SERVPRO is a fast responder to help.
While we might be slower in a sprint to Roxbury flood damage than some of the animals at the Franklin Park Zoo, we know how to clean up after these events quickly. While you enjoy a bite at the Blue Hill House of Pizza or Merengue, we work on repairing your property. While you are out, stop by the Warren and Walnut markets to see if anything is new. Take your mind off the disaster while our SERVPRO team sets it right.
Responding to Flood Damage Fast
Our central location in the area means we can quickly reach homes and businesses throughout Roxbury. We understand the urgency of our response, especially with cultural centers that could be destroyed by intruding water, like The Museum of the NCAA or the Black Community Info Center. SERVPRO professionals arrive fast to help with the following:
Flood damage to Roxbury homes and businesses does not have to be permanently ruined. Experienced and knowledgeable SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury professionals are ready to respond quickly when disasters strike to begin mitigation, repairs, and restoration of the property required. Call us when you need us at (617) 466-6909.
SERVPRO Helps Homeowners with Water Damage in Roxbury Homes
Call our certified SERVPRO technicians right away to assess the situation.
Common Causes of Water Damage in Roxbury Buildings
Water entering your Roxbury home causes immediate water damage. Any cleanup delay leads to secondary damage to contents and structure. Mold infestations may occur, carpets are soaked, and hardwood floors swell and buckle. Porous materials such as drywall and pressed wood products absorb moisture, swell and lose integrity causing permanent damage if cleanup is delayed.
SERVPRO provides water damage cleanup for homeowners in Roxbury. We respond in less than four hours from your call. We aim to minimize the initial and secondary damage from water leaks into your home.
Homeowners are surprised to learn they have water in their homes caused by storms in the area. Common causes of water in homes leading to water damage include water entering due to heavy rainstorms as well as other domestic situations:
- Stormy conditions lead to roof leaks and broken windows allowing rainwater to enter the home.
- Clogged rain gutters filled with leaves and debris causes water to back up under the shingles
- Sewage backup caused by debris and backflow
- Pipes bursting due to age
- Leaking plumbing systems
- Faulty appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, and dryers with moisture systems
- Plugged toilets
- AC systems malfunctioning
- Water overflow in sinks and tubs
All of these conditions can lead to extensive damage to your home. Storms can introduce hundreds of gallons of water into your home in minutes. SERVPRO provides board-up services to cover windows and roof damage. We deploy high-capacity pumps to remove excess water. We use water extraction systems to remove water from carpets and hardwood flooring. Our high-capacity dehumidification and air movers quickly lower the humidity and dry your home.
Call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury for water damage services. We provide service to Roxbury and nearby areas. We can help 24/7. Call (617) 466-6909.
Understanding Roxbury Fire Damage and Its Restoration
Fire damage in your Roxbury home? Call SERVPRO to make you feel "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Helps Restore Homes After Fire Damage
From Harvard Medical School to Northeastern University, many large properties exist in the Greater Boston area of Roxbury. With the thousands residing in the neighborhood, fires happen more often than many think. Even after a fire gets extinguished, effects continue to threaten the impacted structure like:
- Ruined contents
- Airborne contaminants
- Destroyed structure
- Lingering water damage
- Smoke residues and soils
Roxbury fire damage is a highly destructive event in many cases, even with minor kitchen flare-ups. Experienced professionals are needed to document loss and get restoration started. With insurance companies involved when damage claims are made, we work directly with adjusters to meet the requirements to obtain claim approval.
What Kind of Restoration Can Homeowners Expect?
Fire restoration services vary considerably between residences and commercial properties, making each situation unique. We evaluate the condition of your home and determine the needed mitigative and restorative actions to begin returning this structure to its original condition.
Mitigating Fire Damage
Mitigation describes any early actions our professionals take to protect the structure and its occupants from worsening conditions. While the process can involve dozens of acts, standard emergency services can include:
- Personal Belongings/Contents – We can relocate and protect personal belongings caught in the damage path of migrating fire loss effects. We also have on-site cleaning solutions when relocation is not enough.
- Structural Elements – Inspecting damaged structures can be a wise start to mitigation as well, as several repairs and areas requiring controlled demolition exist with the arrival of our technicians.
- Containing the Damage – It is essential to stop the movement of post-fire loss effects like soot and odors. Covering vents and returns keep these negative elements from entering the HVAC system.
How is Soot Resolved After Fire Damage?
Cleaning up surfaces impacted by soot and smoke residues is a priority of our fire restoration professionals. Partial combustion, prevalent in all affected areas of a structure fire, produces smoke solids that can come to rest on surfaces. We utilize several cleaning approaches, but there are specific factors that can influence the preservation of impacted materials and contents:
- Smoke Damage Type – Environmental conditions and the combustion of specific materials will create varying types of smoke damage. Wet smoke, for example, is a more challenging residue to clean with its thick deposit and tendency to smear.
- Underlying Material – The material impacted by the soot and smoke soils should also be considered when determining salvageability. Older materials are often harder to clean, and highly porous surfaces can also create a substantial obstacle for the technicians.
- Cost of Preservation – A final consideration that must be made into the salvageability of exposed materials and contents is the difficulty of fire damage restoration against the cost of replacement. Some materials, such as drywall, can be replaced more easily and cheaply than through lengthy restoration and cleaning processes.
Repairs and Build-Back After a Fire
Structure fires often leave buildings with a pressing need for repairs and reconstruction. Build-back services by our SERVPRO team are possible with our general contractor license. Our qualifications in this field prevent customers from needing to secure secondary contractors to complete rebuilds after the restoration phases.
Roxbury fire damage events happen more often than many homeowners and business managers believe. With the swiftness that these disasters can impact a structure, there is little time to waste in securing restoration professionals approved by your insurance provider to help.
Our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team is a preferred post-fire recovery specialist available 24/7 when you call (617) 466-6909.
Restoration Solutions for Roxbury Water Damage
Water removal and drying--call in SERVPRO--to preserve your Roxbury home--we have the training and the advanced equipment.
Eliminating Water Damage in Multiple Ways
Water emergencies happen in our region daily, making it the most common service request for our SERVPRO professionals. We are a full-service solution for restoration and recovery from these disasters, providing:
- Water Removal Services
- Drying and Evaporation
- Surface and Content Cleaning
- Post-Damage Repairs
Rapidly Responding to Water Emergencies
With Roxbury water damage, it is important to have experienced professionals responding quickly. SERVPRO prides itself that We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster, and we show this through our pre-stocked vehicles in the Green Fleet, ready to mobilize at the first notice of loss.
Removing Pooling Water in the House
Extraction is an integral part of the mitigation process to get the restoration going. Without removing standing water, materials continue to be at risk for absorption and degradation. We have several water removal tools to help:
- Wet Vacuums – These extraction units provide the most versatile solutions for water removal, including portability and access to multi-story structures without the need for deploying high-pressure pump units.
- Submersible Pumps – Ranging from engine-driven units providing the highest power for extraction and water removal to portable electric submersible units, pumps offer a higher volume of water removal when vacuums are overwhelmed.
- Specialized Equipment – While vacuums and pumps can care for the largest portions of standing water. SERVPRO professionals must also account for absorbed water at this stage. Materials like carpeting can relieve most of their absorbed water with high-pressure vacuums and weighted extraction units.
Tools for Efficient Water Damage Drying
Drying is the most critical portion of the restoration process and is needed in every water restoration project. While each structure requires a different amount of equipment and unique placement, some of the common tools deployed include:
- Air Movers - Placing high-velocity blowers at 45-degree angles on surfaces allows us to steer drying and evaporation processes with direct infusion of dry air on wet structural elements.
- Dehumidifiers - Desiccant and low-grain refrigerant dehumidification equipment use different approaches to trap and remove moisture grains from the atmosphere. Dehumidification is vital to allow evaporation to continue and not oversaturate the environment.
- Portable Electric Heating - Manipulating the warmth of the drying zone can often help to increase the evaporation reactions and reduce contact time for cleaning products on surfaces.
- Drying Mats - For flooring types like wood and vinyl plank, drying mats can be an integral part of the restoration process. Capillary suction draws moisture to the surface where these mats are placed so that evaporation and other techniques can remove it from the structure.
Prepared for Large Loss Scenarios
In the Greater Boston area and through communities we serve like Roxbury and Jamaica Plain, commercial properties are just as susceptible to water damage as the thousands of homes in the region. As such, our SERVPRO team must stay ready with Large Loss equipment and training to manage loss effects on a greater scale than typically seen in residential disasters.
Water Damage Repairs
One advantage of SERVPRO for water recovery work is the general contractor license we provide. After burst pipes and flooding, repairs and reconstruction are inevitable. Having this capability with the restoration team means that the work gets done right after the cleanup, and you are back to normal life faster.
With Roxbury water damage incidents, professionals like ours must respond quickly. There is a finite timeline where materials exposed to water and moisture are salvageable. As trusted restoration technicians in the Greater Boston area, SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury can help mitigate loss and make water emergencies “Like it never even happened.” Call now at (617) 466-6909.
The Impact of Roxbury Mold Damage on Homes
Trust SERVPRO for professional mold damage cleanup and remediation for your Roxbury property.
Remediators Can Manage Mold Damage in Roxbury
Whether the lingering water in your home after a water damage emergency or a damp basement that continually contends with penetrating groundwater, conditions for mold development are common concerns for area homeowners. When you suspect microbial damage in your property, our SERVPRO team responds with a crew of experienced professionals representing multiple industry niches like:
- AMRT – Applied Microbial Remediation
- WRT – Water Restoration
- ASD – Applied Structural Drying
- CDS – Commercial Drying
- OCT – Odor Control
How Does Mold Form?
Roxbury mold damage can exist without homeowners knowing, especially in less-trafficked areas of a residence like a basement or an attic. Any moist environment that persists for several days can facilitate mold colonies. Common examples include:
- Unresolved Water Damage – A small leak at a connection of your plumbing or a dripping fixture could create a wet zone sufficient for welcoming mold.
- Humidity Concerns – Humid conditions are not foreign to our communities, and residences dealing with high moisture content can also contend with developing mold.
- Post-Flooding – Flooding can leave many areas of the structure damp, a suitable environment for mold development.
What Materials Does Mold Target?
Organic matter becomes a food source for mold colonies. Those building materials and contents in the house are most at risk for supporting organisms and facing disastrous results. Some include:
- Wood elements
- Soft materials
Removing Mold Damage Professionally
The removal of mold and microbial threats involves several trusted strategies. Because of factors like the impacted materials, irregular or challenging surfaces, and the severity of the infestation, multiple remediation tactics are needed:
- Surface Products – The least intrusive remediation method is applying sporicidal agents to the surface. Contact time with these colonies can often eradicate surface mold without further action.
- Power Sanding – Wood framing and structural elements impacted by mold colonies can allow colonies to penetrate beyond the outermost surface layer. Power sanding removes a thin exterior segment to eliminate intruding mold colonies.
- Dry Ice Blasting – Dry ice is not the only blasting material we can use for these pieces of equipment. We place various media under pressurized air and blast at hosting materials supporting surface colonies.
- Removing Damaged Materials – When surface and more abrasive cleaning methods are not possible, controlled demolition is an effective alternative.
Will Mold Damage Repairs Be Needed?
A contractor license for our team allows us to be there for the repairs and reconstruction that your home might require after mold cleanup. There are many instances where the infestation of colonies compromises hosting materials to the point of needing partial or complete replacement. Understanding that repairs are likely, our SERVPRO team prepares for this by dispatching experienced professionals to help with mold damage remediation.
Preventing Mold Recurrences in Your Home
Another objective of our restoration team and the reconstruction specialists we provide is preventing recurrences. We adhere to IICRC standards for mold services. It is possible to address the entry point for moisture penetration and avoid continued infiltration. In many cases, rebuilding compromised structural elements allows moisture migration to the damaged area. Roof repairs, sealing penetration points in your home's foundation, and several other structural improvements can help.
When contending with Roxbury mold damage, homes and businesses can be impacted by these growths over a long period. The development and spread of mold and microbial organisms threaten the hosting materials and could lead to a need for extensive reconstruction. Our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team has a fast response through our Boston neighborhoods and communities to help. Call now at (617) 466-6909.
Best Practices for Storm Water Removal in Raleigh
All you need is SERVPRO for all your storm damage needs. Call (617) 466-6909.
SERVPRO Offers Stress-Free Storm Water Cleanup Services in Raleigh
Professional stormwater removal services can prevent further damage when your property experiences a disastrous event. No matter how big the mess may appear, all is not lost since there are chances of finding restorable items on your property. Immediate action is the best thing you can ever do to avoid potential long-term problems like mold growth.
During stormwater mitigation in Raleigh, our SERVPRO technicians do a thorough inspection of the site and come up with appropriate restoration techniques. We begin by performing a safety assessment and implementing the necessary precautions to ensure the place is safe for occupants and our team. The following are some of the safety risks we watch out for:
- Structural instability
- Electrical hazards
- Biohazard contamination
- Slip and fall hazards
The other step that our SERVPRO team performs during water damage remediation is removing debris and standing water from the site. We may use shovels and rakes to remove the dirt - the situation determines the approach. In most incidents, stormwater carries along regulated hazardous materials, so we carefully dispose of the extracted water and debris. The disposal is per local or state regulations.
At this point, we evaluate the entire structure to determine which areas and contents need decontamination. A material's porosity determines whether decontamination can take place. Since we may be dealing with black water, we dispose of the insulation, carpet, and pad during water damage cleanup.
We have the job of documenting all the items that need to be disposed of and ensuring your insurance adjuster is informed. We can then pressure wash non-porous structural components such as walls and floors and later disinfect them using EPA-registered disinfectants.
SERVPRO of North Raleigh & Wake Forest is always ready to mitigate all water, mold, fire, and storm damage emergencies. You can call (617) 466-6909 to learn more about our restoration services and work with highly trained technicians.
Mitigating Fire Damage in West Roxbury Homes Needs Pros Like SERVPRO
Call your local professionals at SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury to ensure your home is dry and sanitary.
SERVPRO Offers 24/7 Fire Damage Restoration to West Roxbury Homes
After fire damage to your west Roxbury home, smoke and soot residues can cause extensive damage if not removed promptly. SERVPRO techs inspect and test smoke residues to evaluate the extent of damages and determine what cleaning services are needed for restoration.
Once the SERVPRO techs determine the type of smoke and soot residue present, they create a strategy for restoring fire damage to your West Roxbury home. Techs use air and fluids to release the soils from the surfaces and carry them away. Using the right cleaning agent is essential to ensure that the soils are removed without causing additional surface damage.
Capturing and Removing Smoke Residue from Fire Damaged Homes
Various types of smoke and soot residues exist in a fire-damaged home. While some residues are light and dry, others can be oily and sticky. SERVPRO techs use different cleaning agents depending on the nature of the soot particles.
The two ways SERVPRO techs capture and remove smoke residue are:
- Vacuuming is a technique restorers use when the smoke particles are dry and attached loosely to the surface. If wet cleaning agents are used, these particles can absorb into the surfaces, making them more challenging to remove.
- Dissolving: If the residues are not loose particles that can be vacuumed, they must be dissolved into appropriate solvents. Dissolving the residues can loosen the bonds between the particles and the surfaces, making them easy to remove. The three steps of dissolving the residues are:
- Washing- Techs apply a cleaning agent to the surface and agitate it to penetrate and loosen the soil.
- Rinsing- Once the soils are dissolved or suspended in the cleaning agent, rinsing removes them from surfaces.
- Drying- The remaining moisture from the cleaning agent is removed.
Call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury at (617) 466-6909.
Equipment Needed For Successful Water Restoration in Roxbury
We aim to restore your property as quickly as possible, “Like It Never Even Happened.”
SERVPRO Can Rapidly Clean Up Water Damage in Roxbury
Residential water damage is quite common. While major storms and floods may appear to cause massive water damage in homes, broken dishwashers, leaks from laundry machines, and problems with pipes. They can also lead to significant moisture problems in your Roxbury property.
Roxbury water restoration professionals have years of experience, expertise, and access to equipment to be able to fix the many unexpected issues water damage causes. Using the right equipment means these problems are repaired cost-effectively, safely, and timely. SERVPRO crews not only use proper equipment to accomplish tasks but also know how to effectively and efficiently operate them. We aim to minimize the time our customers spend out of their homes.
Some effective water damage restoration equipment include:
- Inspection devices
- Extraction equipment
- Air moving equipment
- Dehumidification equipment
To effectively restore a water-damaged structure, scoping is necessary. This involves pinpointing the areas where moisture has encroached and to what extent. SERVPRO crews use various devices to track water within a structure, including moisture sensors, thermal imaging cameras, moisture meters, and thermo-hygrometers. A moisture sensor, for example, helps detect moisture in carpets and padding. The sharp probes penetrate through rugs and pads, thus determining if water has migrated through the subfloor.
Air Moving Equipment
Air-moving devices are great at combating excessive water damage. They blow large amounts of air onto the affected areas making moisture evaporate quickly. The affected area and the air mover used are the two main factors determining their effectiveness. For example, if the room is humid, the device may be counterproductive in moving moisture to unaffected areas. When drying an ample space, you need the right-sized air mover. SERVPRO restoration technicians utilize specific air movers to dry specific areas most efficiently.
Types of air-moving devices:
- Axial air movers
- Centrifugal air movers
- Thrust air movers
SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury provides a variety of water restoration solutions for the home. Call us at (617) 466-6909. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Do You Need Mold Remediation and Cleanup in Roxbury – Call SERVPRO
SERVPRO gives you access to expertly trained mold remediation specialists that put vast resources and years of experience to work for you.
SERVPRO Provides Mold Remediation Services to Residents and Businesses of Roxbury
Residents of Roxbury experiencing a mold infestation should arrange for mold remediation and cleanup before mold spores can spread throughout the home. Mold spores need moisture, warmth, and an organic food source, which is abundant in our homes. Once a leak or moisture source goes unnoticed, mold colonies can grow within twenty-four hours, producing a strong, musty odor.
SERVPRO provides mold remediation services to Roxbury and the surrounding areas. Our experience shows that mold damage can be minimized. Homeowners must quickly take action to repair the moisture source and carefully remove mold-infested contents, and the remaining surfaces are cleaned and disinfected. In more serious infestations, SERVPRO recommends that negative air pressure solutions are implemented to contain mold spores in the affected area and not distribute them throughout the building.
Our experts at SERVPRO recommend homeowners avoid affected areas, turn off heating and cooling systems and seek help as soon as the mold is discovered. Avoid disturbing the mold and drying the site, and do not use bleach or disinfectant on the mold. There is a high risk of causing mold spores to be distributed across a larger area, and any chemicals used may damage the material's surface.
Our team follows an industry-standard process to remove mold from your premises:
- Inspect the area and develop a remediation plan
- Contain the mold – bag in place and use negative pressure solutions for containment
- Utilize high-capacity air filtration and air scrubbers
- Remove mold-infested materials – bag in place
- Clean contents and utilize antifungal and antimicrobial treatments
- Restore and repair damaged structures
Our SERVPRO team provides the following services:
- Mold inspections, remediation, and removal
- Bathroom mold removal
- Attic mold removal
Call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury for mold remediation services and restoration. We provide service to Roxbury and nearby areas. We can help 24/7. Call (617) 466-6909.