Understanding Roxbury Fire Damage and Its Restoration
Fire damage in your Roxbury home? Call SERVPRO to make you feel "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Helps Restore Homes After Fire Damage
From Harvard Medical School to Northeastern University, many large properties exist in the Greater Boston area of Roxbury. With the thousands residing in the neighborhood, fires happen more often than many think. Even after a fire gets extinguished, effects continue to threaten the impacted structure like:
- Ruined contents
- Airborne contaminants
- Destroyed structure
- Lingering water damage
- Smoke residues and soils
Roxbury fire damage is a highly destructive event in many cases, even with minor kitchen flare-ups. Experienced professionals are needed to document loss and get restoration started. With insurance companies involved when damage claims are made, we work directly with adjusters to meet the requirements to obtain claim approval.
What Kind of Restoration Can Homeowners Expect?
Fire restoration services vary considerably between residences and commercial properties, making each situation unique. We evaluate the condition of your home and determine the needed mitigative and restorative actions to begin returning this structure to its original condition.
Mitigating Fire Damage
Mitigation describes any early actions our professionals take to protect the structure and its occupants from worsening conditions. While the process can involve dozens of acts, standard emergency services can include:
- Personal Belongings/Contents – We can relocate and protect personal belongings caught in the damage path of migrating fire loss effects. We also have on-site cleaning solutions when relocation is not enough.
- Structural Elements – Inspecting damaged structures can be a wise start to mitigation as well, as several repairs and areas requiring controlled demolition exist with the arrival of our technicians.
- Containing the Damage – It is essential to stop the movement of post-fire loss effects like soot and odors. Covering vents and returns keep these negative elements from entering the HVAC system.
How is Soot Resolved After Fire Damage?
Cleaning up surfaces impacted by soot and smoke residues is a priority of our fire restoration professionals. Partial combustion, prevalent in all affected areas of a structure fire, produces smoke solids that can come to rest on surfaces. We utilize several cleaning approaches, but there are specific factors that can influence the preservation of impacted materials and contents:
- Smoke Damage Type – Environmental conditions and the combustion of specific materials will create varying types of smoke damage. Wet smoke, for example, is a more challenging residue to clean with its thick deposit and tendency to smear.
- Underlying Material – The material impacted by the soot and smoke soils should also be considered when determining salvageability. Older materials are often harder to clean, and highly porous surfaces can also create a substantial obstacle for the technicians.
- Cost of Preservation – A final consideration that must be made into the salvageability of exposed materials and contents is the difficulty of fire damage restoration against the cost of replacement. Some materials, such as drywall, can be replaced more easily and cheaply than through lengthy restoration and cleaning processes.
Repairs and Build-Back After a Fire
Structure fires often leave buildings with a pressing need for repairs and reconstruction. Build-back services by our SERVPRO team are possible with our general contractor license. Our qualifications in this field prevent customers from needing to secure secondary contractors to complete rebuilds after the restoration phases.
Roxbury fire damage events happen more often than many homeowners and business managers believe. With the swiftness that these disasters can impact a structure, there is little time to waste in securing restoration professionals approved by your insurance provider to help.
Our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team is a preferred post-fire recovery specialist available 24/7 when you call (617) 466-6909.
Restoration Solutions for Roxbury Water Damage
Water removal and drying--call in SERVPRO--to preserve your Roxbury home--we have the training and the advanced equipment.
Eliminating Water Damage in Multiple Ways
Water emergencies happen in our region daily, making it the most common service request for our SERVPRO professionals. We are a full-service solution for restoration and recovery from these disasters, providing:
- Water Removal Services
- Drying and Evaporation
- Surface and Content Cleaning
- Post-Damage Repairs
Rapidly Responding to Water Emergencies
With Roxbury water damage, it is important to have experienced professionals responding quickly. SERVPRO prides itself that We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster, and we show this through our pre-stocked vehicles in the Green Fleet, ready to mobilize at the first notice of loss.
Removing Pooling Water in the House
Extraction is an integral part of the mitigation process to get the restoration going. Without removing standing water, materials continue to be at risk for absorption and degradation. We have several water removal tools to help:
- Wet Vacuums – These extraction units provide the most versatile solutions for water removal, including portability and access to multi-story structures without the need for deploying high-pressure pump units.
- Submersible Pumps – Ranging from engine-driven units providing the highest power for extraction and water removal to portable electric submersible units, pumps offer a higher volume of water removal when vacuums are overwhelmed.
- Specialized Equipment – While vacuums and pumps can care for the largest portions of standing water. SERVPRO professionals must also account for absorbed water at this stage. Materials like carpeting can relieve most of their absorbed water with high-pressure vacuums and weighted extraction units.
Tools for Efficient Water Damage Drying
Drying is the most critical portion of the restoration process and is needed in every water restoration project. While each structure requires a different amount of equipment and unique placement, some of the common tools deployed include:
- Air Movers - Placing high-velocity blowers at 45-degree angles on surfaces allows us to steer drying and evaporation processes with direct infusion of dry air on wet structural elements.
- Dehumidifiers - Desiccant and low-grain refrigerant dehumidification equipment use different approaches to trap and remove moisture grains from the atmosphere. Dehumidification is vital to allow evaporation to continue and not oversaturate the environment.
- Portable Electric Heating - Manipulating the warmth of the drying zone can often help to increase the evaporation reactions and reduce contact time for cleaning products on surfaces.
- Drying Mats - For flooring types like wood and vinyl plank, drying mats can be an integral part of the restoration process. Capillary suction draws moisture to the surface where these mats are placed so that evaporation and other techniques can remove it from the structure.
Prepared for Large Loss Scenarios
In the Greater Boston area and through communities we serve like Roxbury and Jamaica Plain, commercial properties are just as susceptible to water damage as the thousands of homes in the region. As such, our SERVPRO team must stay ready with Large Loss equipment and training to manage loss effects on a greater scale than typically seen in residential disasters.
Water Damage Repairs
One advantage of SERVPRO for water recovery work is the general contractor license we provide. After burst pipes and flooding, repairs and reconstruction are inevitable. Having this capability with the restoration team means that the work gets done right after the cleanup, and you are back to normal life faster.
With Roxbury water damage incidents, professionals like ours must respond quickly. There is a finite timeline where materials exposed to water and moisture are salvageable. As trusted restoration technicians in the Greater Boston area, SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury can help mitigate loss and make water emergencies “Like it never even happened.” Call now at (617) 466-6909.
The Impact of Roxbury Mold Damage on Homes
Trust SERVPRO for professional mold damage cleanup and remediation for your Roxbury property.
Remediators Can Manage Mold Damage in Roxbury
Whether the lingering water in your home after a water damage emergency or a damp basement that continually contends with penetrating groundwater, conditions for mold development are common concerns for area homeowners. When you suspect microbial damage in your property, our SERVPRO team responds with a crew of experienced professionals representing multiple industry niches like:
- AMRT – Applied Microbial Remediation
- WRT – Water Restoration
- ASD – Applied Structural Drying
- CDS – Commercial Drying
- OCT – Odor Control
How Does Mold Form?
Roxbury mold damage can exist without homeowners knowing, especially in less-trafficked areas of a residence like a basement or an attic. Any moist environment that persists for several days can facilitate mold colonies. Common examples include:
- Unresolved Water Damage – A small leak at a connection of your plumbing or a dripping fixture could create a wet zone sufficient for welcoming mold.
- Humidity Concerns – Humid conditions are not foreign to our communities, and residences dealing with high moisture content can also contend with developing mold.
- Post-Flooding – Flooding can leave many areas of the structure damp, a suitable environment for mold development.
What Materials Does Mold Target?
Organic matter becomes a food source for mold colonies. Those building materials and contents in the house are most at risk for supporting organisms and facing disastrous results. Some include:
- Wood elements
- Soft materials
Removing Mold Damage Professionally
The removal of mold and microbial threats involves several trusted strategies. Because of factors like the impacted materials, irregular or challenging surfaces, and the severity of the infestation, multiple remediation tactics are needed:
- Surface Products – The least intrusive remediation method is applying sporicidal agents to the surface. Contact time with these colonies can often eradicate surface mold without further action.
- Power Sanding – Wood framing and structural elements impacted by mold colonies can allow colonies to penetrate beyond the outermost surface layer. Power sanding removes a thin exterior segment to eliminate intruding mold colonies.
- Dry Ice Blasting – Dry ice is not the only blasting material we can use for these pieces of equipment. We place various media under pressurized air and blast at hosting materials supporting surface colonies.
- Removing Damaged Materials – When surface and more abrasive cleaning methods are not possible, controlled demolition is an effective alternative.
Will Mold Damage Repairs Be Needed?
A contractor license for our team allows us to be there for the repairs and reconstruction that your home might require after mold cleanup. There are many instances where the infestation of colonies compromises hosting materials to the point of needing partial or complete replacement. Understanding that repairs are likely, our SERVPRO team prepares for this by dispatching experienced professionals to help with mold damage remediation.
Preventing Mold Recurrences in Your Home
Another objective of our restoration team and the reconstruction specialists we provide is preventing recurrences. We adhere to IICRC standards for mold services. It is possible to address the entry point for moisture penetration and avoid continued infiltration. In many cases, rebuilding compromised structural elements allows moisture migration to the damaged area. Roof repairs, sealing penetration points in your home's foundation, and several other structural improvements can help.
When contending with Roxbury mold damage, homes and businesses can be impacted by these growths over a long period. The development and spread of mold and microbial organisms threaten the hosting materials and could lead to a need for extensive reconstruction. Our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team has a fast response through our Boston neighborhoods and communities to help. Call now at (617) 466-6909.
Businesses in Roxbury Trust SERVPRO with Water Restoration
Contact SERVPRO to effectively tackle the fire damage in your property. Call now!
Controlling Contamination During Water Restoration of Roxbury Commercial Properties
A Water incident at your commercial property can damage the contents and structure and create conditions conducive to microbial growth. Professional restorers like SERVPRO must take steps to control the contamination during water restoration of Roxbury properties.
SERVPRO techs follow the IICRC S500 guidelines to control microbial contamination during the water restoration of Roxbury commercial properties. For effective remediation of water-damaged properties, SERVPRO techs use a two-step process:
- Manipulate the humidity, airflow, and temperature of the affected area to promote rapid drying, and
- Remove any contaminated materials.
Only after the completion of these two processes do the SERVPRO techs use antimicrobial agents to prevent the growth of microbes.
Why SERVPRO Techs Use Professional Products During Water Cleanup?
Rapid drying and removing contaminated materials is sometimes not enough to control microbial growth. SERVPRO techs use professional antimicrobial products to slow down or control microbial proliferation in those situations.
SERVPRO techs mainly use two types of antimicrobials during water restoration of Roxbury commercial properties:
- Disinfectants: These types of antimicrobials destroy 99% of organisms they contact. Some disinfectants are effective in controlling spores, while others are not. The most common disinfectants that SERVPRO techs use include phenolics, alcohols, chlorines, and quaternary ammonium compounds.
- Sanitizers: SERVPRO techs use these antimicrobials to decrease the number of microbes to an acceptable level. While sanitizers can temporarily control the microbe population, the microbes can grow back under the right conditions.
SERVPRO techs only use EPA-registered broad-spectrum disinfectants in the water-damaged properties in Roxbury. We always take appropriate precautions and safety measures while applying antimicrobials in water-damaged properties.
Call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury at (617) 466-6909; We’re Faster To Any Size.
SERVPRO Saves Jamaica Plain Homes from Fire Damage
All you need is SERVPRO for all your fire damage needs. Call (617) 466-6909.
Cleaning Walls and Ceilings After Fire Damage in Jamaica Plain Homes
Walls and ceilings are the most affected components after fire damage to your Jamaica Plain home. SERVPRO techs use various cleaning methods to clean the smoke and soot residue to prevent any lasting damage.
Before deciding on a cleaning method, SERVPRO techs pretest walls and ceilings for cleanability after fire damage to your Jamaica Plain home. Some factors that affect the choice of the cleaning method include:
- Type of smoke and soot residue
- The type of surface
- Whether the finish on the surface is wet or dry cleanable
Cleaning Methods for House Fire Cleanup
SERVPRO techs use three methods to clean smoke and soot residues from walls and ceilings after smoke damage to your Jamaica Plain home:
- Dry cleaning: SERVPRO techs use a dry-cleaning sponge to clean all types of ceilings covered in light-to-medium, non-greasy soot. The method is unsuitable if the residue is too heavy or the surface is porous. In most cases, the dry-cleaning sponge is used to pre-clean the surfaces before wet cleaning.
- Wet cleaning is the method of choice to clean surfaces with heavy dry ash, soot residue, or light-to-heavy oil-based residues. SERVPRO techs use several cleaning agents, both water-based and solvent-based cleaning agents to dislodge soils from walls and ceilings.
- Peroxide active cleaning: It is a method of choice to clean acoustical ceilings and other porous surfaces. SERVPRO techs use this method when heavy, oily soot residue is present after fire damage. The cleaning agent used in this process is a stabilized hydrogen peroxide solution that releases oxygen and oxidizes the smoke and soot residue.
If you need help with fire restoration of your home, call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury at (617) 466-6909.
SERVPRO Is Fast and Efficient with Mold Remediation in Roxbury
Let our fast response team at SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury eliminate your mold damage.
Tackling Mold Remediation in HVAC Systems
Mold remediation of HVAC systems in your Roxbury home presents a unique challenge to the SERVPRO restorers. It is tricky to specify the extent of contamination in HVAC systems, and techs might need multiple cleanings to achieve a satisfactory level of cleanliness.
The complex nature of the HVAC system’s interior structure requires SERVPRO techs to adopt a different cleaning strategy during mold remediation of your Roxbury home. The system provides reservoirs for both the spores and viable fungi, and numerous amplification sites may present a cause of concern during restorative cleaning. In some cases, cleaning the cooling coils, fan blades, and coil fin surfaces can be challenging.
What Makes SERVPRO Mold Specialists Efficient at Cleaning HVAC?
SERVPRO techs follow the IICRC S520 guidelines during mold remediation of Roxbury homes. In most cases, techs remedy the HVAC system only once, completing other remediation activities.
Here are a few steps we take to ensure a safe and efficient mold removal from HVAC systems.
- SERVPRO techs refrain from using aggressive cleaners containing strong acids or caustics to prevent damage to the heat transfer surfaces of the HVAC systems. Using harsh cleansers can cause the pitting of surfaces, decreasing their efficiency.
- We ensure that once the HVAC surfaces are treated with the cleaning agents, the residues from the agents are removed by thorough rinsing.
- Our techs ensure that the water pressure used while cleaning the coil fins is kept below 100 psi to avoid deformation.
The IICRC guidelines recommend that restorers use antimicrobials to inhibit future fungal growth in HVAC systems. However, the techs consider the application of antimicrobials only after the complete removal of contamination.
If you need assistance with mold damage in your residential or commercial property, call SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury at (617) 466-6909.
Avoid Excessive Costs in Roxbury with Expert Water Damage Repair
Let our fast response team eliminate further mold growth due to water damage.
Call SERVPRO 24/7 in Roxbury for Pro Water Damage Repair Results
We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster – meaning SERVPRO will get you the results you need quickly in your Roxbury property when facing a water emergency. Time is of the essence with any water incident because the longer you wait to address standing moisture and water pooling, the more the damage multiplies. Our highly-trained technicians use advanced technology and proven methods to ensure your daily life sees as little disruption as possible.
What kinds of water damage repair in Roxbury does SERVPRO handle? We handle debris removal of any saturated contents and building materials we cannot salvage. From there, we use trusted area contractors and vendors to make your property “Like it never even happened” with controlled demolition and reconstruction. The work we oversee includes, but is not limited to:
- Repair of hardwood, linoleum, marble, and tile flooring
- Carpet and carpet padding replacement
- Drywall installation, in some instances, may include flood cuts to only remove the lower portion of the drywall
- Painting, sealants, and wallpaper
- New baseboard and other finishing touches
With any water-related incident, special attention must get paid to all surfaces to ensure we stop microbial growth in its tracks. We have Applied Microbial Restoration Technicians (AMRT) and Applied Structural Drying Technicians (ASD) to help ensure everything is sanitized and dry. This helps ensure you and your family can breathe easily and comfortably in your home once we finish water removal services and drying.
Did you know that we help with all the documentation for your insurance claim? We go the extra mile for our Roxbury customers so their insurance claim goes as smoothly as possible.
Trust SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury when you need professional water damage repair. Request help online or call us at (617) 466-6909, and we can mobilize our Green Fleet in four hours or less to get started.
Why SERVPRO Uses Lots of Plastic in Mold Removal Jobs in Roxbury
Let our fast response team at SERVPRO eliminate your mold damage.
Mold Removal Experts Know How to Protect Your Home
Mold removal, or mold remediation, helps property owners in Roxbury resolve microbial infestations. There are specific methods used to assist homeowners with microbial infestations.
One thing we at SERVPRO want residents to know about mold removal inside their Roxbury property is never to disturb it. Touching, sweeping, brushing, or blowing on mold can cause it to release spores. These microscopic particles are capable of creating new microbial colonies elsewhere inside your residence.
To control the mold and protect your house from migrating spores, we use plastic sheeting during the removal of microbial infestations and mold remediation in various applications:
- Enclosing areas that contain no mold so they remain mold-free as we work,
- Partitioning places with mold for dry ice blasting or application of an encapsulating medium, and
- Creation of a negative pressure chamber for use when restoring affected furnishings.
Plastic sheeting is an impenetrable material that is inexpensive and easy to manage for our diverse requirements. We use non-marking tape to attach sections of sheeting to your walls above doorways and entrances to hallways. We also might use plastic to close off your ductwork, preventing any possible contamination.
At the end of our mold removal efforts, we can quickly wrap up used plastic sheeting, forming a rolled-up ball. Or, we might fold it several times and use it as an extra layer when disposing of torn-away materials with sharp edges. Then, we bag it and carry it out of your home for secure disposal.
One thing about plastic sheeting that can work against homeowners, however, is that the material retains moisture. Because of this property, we never recommend its use except for temporary, short periods. Otherwise, instead of helping with mold removal, the presence of plastic sheeting can create an environment suitable for the prolific growth of mold.
The little details, including where to adhere plastic sheeting and the timing involved in projects performed by the experienced crew at SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury, make all the difference. Call us at (617) 466-6909 for mold remediation.
Flood Damage Repair Solutions in Roxbury Attics
SERVPROO flood damage restoration technicians have the latest technology and equipment at their disposal. We are ready at a moment's notice.
We Provide Efficient Flood Damage Repairs
The attic is a location commonly damaged by the heavy storms Jamaica Plain and Roxbury communities endure throughout the year. Despite the sturdy construction of even historic properties in the region, roofs are not impervious to damage. We are ready to respond to flood damages and necessary repairs after threatening disasters.
Evaluating the Damage
Before any flood damage repair in Roxbury homes can begin, SERVPRO providers must understand the scope of the damage and decide on an appropriate series of solutions. Damage evaluation is the most suitable approach. Assessment allows our experienced production manager to closely inspect impacted structural elements and the surrounding attic space to see where controlled demolition, repairs, and full reconstruction might be needed. Factors that influence repair decisions include:
- Structural integrity loss
- Sagging materials
- Roof damages
Removing Contaminated Structure
Contamination is not always a concern with storm damage to the roof, but SERVPRO specialists must evaluate the entire affected area to see if these threats could exist. We take no chances with potentially contaminated materials, so these must be entirely removed from the underlying studs.
Drying Framework and Roof Supports
Repairs are often needed after flood damage exposure, but it is the preferred option when drying can solve issues. SERVPRO always seeks to restore versus replace materials so we can deploy air movers to the impacted spaces while other repairs are getting underway to see what building elements we can preserve.
Repairing the Roof
Structural vulnerabilities are another concern, as more and more water can continue to penetrate the attic space without a resolution. Our licensed contractors work to provide temporary board up to get restoration underway initially but are also capable of repairing the roof fully once the remediation of water damage and flood loss effects have been overcome.
Flood damage repairs are a common element of the recovery from these disasters, and our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team is trained and licensed to help. Call us after disasters strike at (617) 466-6909.
Managing Flood Damage to Contents of Jamaica Plain Homes
Storm and flood damage restoration services should be handled by SERVPRO. We will be on-site within 4 hours of the initial call.
Content Cleaning Solutions After Flood Damage
To many homeowners, the contents of their property are as important as the structure itself. Then, it is critical to have suitable solutions after flood loss situations to manage the handling of these impacted items and work to restore them when possible. Multiple possible phases and actions can occur with personal belongings, furniture, clothing, and other contents. Some of these include:
- Off-Site Restoration
Relocating Contents When Possible
Flood damage in Jamaica Plain homes can be very noticeable when specialists of our SERVPRO team begin evaluating and cataloging the condition of the contents in the house. Because flood loss effects continue to migrate and move until containment gets established and much of the extraction occurs, it is important to relocate at-risk contents to safer areas of the residence.
On-Site Cleaning with Disinfectants
It is possible in some cases to perform on-site cleanup, but this must occur in one of two ways to be successful. The affected items must either exist in an area very mildly affected by intruding floodwater conditions, or contents must be relocated to an established staging area for cleaning and recovery. At the same time, restoration in the impacted rooms continues.
Off-Site Recovery at SERVPRO Warehouse
One of the more effective and direct solutions our specialists on the roster can provide is off-site cleaning at our SERVPRO facility. With the full measure of powerful recovery tools and products at the disposal of certified cleaning technicians, we can provide a wealth of services to restore contents to their original appearance and function. Some of these include:
- Surface Cleaning
Managing the contents of a flood-damaged property is rarely as straightforward as homeowners might like. Still, our SERVPRO of Jamaica Plain / Roxbury team strives to choose the efficient recovery methods that suit the situation best. Give us a call now at (617) 466-6909.